Latham Hall – Agriculture & Forestry Building
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences facilities were previously located in several buildings constructed between 1907 and 1950 while the College of Forestry and Wildlife Resources was housed within Cheatham Hall. Latham Hall allowed Virginia Tech to combine the research activities of both colleges within a single, integrated state-of-the-art laboratory building in order to promote collaborative and interdisciplinary research activities. The new facility supports core research programs in an integrated departmental setting encompassing agriculture, life sciences, and forest research technologies.
The four-story lab facility is situated on a hillside bordered by Seitz and Smyth Halls to the north, the Fralin Biotechnology Center to the west, and Cheatham Hall to the south. This location places researchers in close proximity to laboratories as well as physically connecting to Smyth Hall. The building features state-of-the-art laboratories and related ancillary support spaces in order to conduct research in biotechnology, soils, toxicology, physiology and genetics. The design incorporates “Hokie” stone and limestone accents, materials prevalent throughout the existing campus, and uses a building geometry that recalls the historic agriculture quadrangle adjacent to the site.